Meridian History Collection
In 2021 management of the Meridian History Collection transferred from the former Meridian Historical Society to the Meridian Library District. The materials are now part of our collection and are located at Meridian City Hall.
We are unable to take donations of historical materials at this time and will resume adding to the collection in spring 2022.
Please contact email@example.com or leave a message at 208-888-4451 ext. 1760.
Meridian History Center
The Meridian History Center at Meridian City Hall is temporarily closed while we update the exhibits and assess the archived documents, photographs, and artifacts in the collection. We expect to reopen the exhibits in spring 2022.
A local history room is planned for our Cherry Lane location when we renovate our building beginning in 2024.
MLD is an independent special district governed by an elected Board of Trustees. The Occident Club founded the original Meridian Library in 1924, and voters established the Meridian Free Library District in 1974. In 2024 we will celebrate 100 years of serving our community!
A traveling library was opened in Meridian at the Songer Pharmacy on September 12, 1924. The books were obtained from the State Traveling Library at Boise by the Occident Club of Meridian and the “latest and best books are included in each shipment.”
On March 25, 1925, they moved the books to the City Hall and in 1928 they were told that they needed to find a building to house the Library. By this time the Interurban Stage had ceased operation and the station became our first building for the purchase price of $1,205.00.
The Library was standardized in 1950 so that it became eligible for tax support and the Occident Club received a tax levy of $1 million for the library that same year.
It became obvious to the members of the Club that they could not continue to operate the Library with volunteers and the levy from the City. On August 27, 1974, the voters approved the establishment of the Meridian Free Library District; taxation for the library passed on August 26, 1975.
By 1995, the population of the District had grown significantly and the Board of Trustees decided that it was time for a bigger building. Voters overwhelmingly approved our $3.4 million bond and in 1997 our Cherry Lane location opened to the public.
In May 2019, Meridian voters passed a plant facility levy measure for $14 million to renovate, expand, and modernize our library. Follow the progress of our future locations on our projects page.