Adults and teens (13+). Participants from outside the Treasure Valley are not eligible to receive a prize. Only Meridian Library District cardholders may receive an exclusive “Black Card” library card.
You are here
Extreme Book Nerd
We're entering the final months of the Extreme Book Nerd challenge!
- If you tracking your progress online through ReadSquared, your completion will be submitted automatically when you finish your final book.
- If you are tracking in a physical booklet, please fill out our 2021 Completion Form once you have read your final book.
The challenge ends December 20, 2021.
Get the printable list of all 50 categories to help you keep track of everything!
Note to last year's finishers
Are you a 2020 Extreme Book Nerd finisher? Are you still waiting to receive your exclusive black card? Stop by our Cherry Lane location and let us know!
This perk is available to Meridian Library cardholders only. Your black card will replace your existing Meridian Library card.
Note: 2021 Extreme Book Nerd finishers will have to wait for the end of the current program on December 20, 2021, to receive a black card.
2021 Challenge - Official Rules
50 books in 50 weeks in 50 categories*
- Extreme Book Nerd runs from January 4, 2021 through December 20, 2021.
- One category per book for a total of 50 books in 50 weeks, to be read by December 20, 2021.
- All Treasure Valley LYNX! Consortium cardholders are eligible to win the completion prize.
- All books read for the challenge need to be recorded in your Extreme Book Nerd reading log (physically or digitally) with the title, author, and date finished for each book listed with each category.
- Reading logs will only be accepted in the distributed paper format or via online registration through the Meridian Library District website.
- Books for other reading programs and book clubs can be counted toward this challenge as long as they fit into one of the categories (i.e., Summer Reading Program, book clubs, school assignments, etc.) and are done by December 20, 2021.
- Audiobooks may be counted toward the challenge.
- Books must be Middle Grade reading level or higher to count toward the challenge. To check if your title is rated for grade 6 or higher, we suggest using the Scholastic Book Wizard tool at https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/bookwizard/
- All books finished and reported by December 20, 2021 can be counted toward this challenge.
- Participants who finish the challenge by December 20, 2021 will receive an exclusive prize: A deluxe canvas book bag with the Extreme Book Nerd logo on it AND Meridian Library District cardholders have the option of switching their library card to the exclusive “black card” library card.
Only one category per book. You cannot use the same book for multiple categories.
*Teens need only to complete 35 of the categories in the Challenge to be awarded the prize. Books beyond the needed 35 will not be counted toward another challenge, nor will another prize be awarded.
As quickly as you complete the challenge, as long as the books were read during the Extreme Book Nerd Challenge time frame (January 4, 2021 - December 20, 2021) AFTER you registered.
Participants may register from January 4, 2021 - July 31, 2021.
You may register if you will turn 13 by the end of registration, July 31, 2021.
No, books may only count toward the Challenge that were completed after the date that you registered.
Physical booklet: Fill out our online completion form.
ReadSquared online tracking: Submit your final book. Answer the survey questions that pop up.
If you feel that a book fits a category, then record it in your reading log. If you’re not sure which category to use, ask a library staff member.
Nope! Those are only there to give you some ideas. Feel free to read whatever you like that fits the category.
You may complete the categories in any order, as long as all 50 categories are completed by December 20, 2021.
Books need to be of Middle Grade level or higher. To check if your title is rated for grade 6 or higher, we suggest using the Scholastic Book Wizard tool at www.scholastic.com/teachers/bookwizard/
Once the challenge ends on December 20, 2021, library staff will tally completion records and prepare the prize order. Because prizes will be custom ordered and printed, they will not be available for pick-up until February 2022. You (or your designated representative) will need to show a photo ID or library card when picking up your prize.