You are here
Internet Access Policy
Internet Access Policy
Public access to the Internet and online services has become an integral part of the Meridian Library District’s programs and services. The Meridian Library shares the values of the American Library Association in providing free access to the internet. The intent of this policy is to meet the provisions of the Children’s Internet Protection Act and Idaho Code § 33-2741, as well as provide guidelines for patrons and staff regarding Internet accessibility and online computer use.
It is the policy of Meridian Library District to:
- prevent user access over its computer and wireless network to, or transmission of, inappropriate material via Internet, electronic mail, or other forms of direct electronic communications;
- prevent unauthorized access and other unlawful online activity;
- prevent unauthorized online disclosure, use, or dissemination of personal identification information of minors; and
- comply with the Children’s Internet Protection Act [Pub. L. No. 106-554 and 47 USC 254(h)].
The Meridian Library District has in place a policy of Internet safety for minors, including the operation of a technology protection measure, hereafter called “filtering software,” on any publicly accessible computer with Internet access or over its wireless network that protects against access to visual depictions that are obscene, child pornography, or harmful to minors, as defined in Idaho Code § 33-2741 and the Children’s Internet Protection Act. The filtering software will be enforced to provide Internet safety during any use of a computer by a minor.
Inappropriate Network Usage
To the extent practical, steps shall be taken to promote the safety and security of users of the Meridian Library District network when using electronic mail, chat rooms, instant messaging, and other forms of direct electronic communications on public computers and wireless internet. Specifically, as required by the Children’s Internet Protection Act and Idaho Code § 33-2741 prevention of inappropriate network usage includes without limitation:
- unauthorized access, including so-called ‘hacking,’ and other unlawful activities; and
- unauthorized disclosure, use, and dissemination of personal identification information regarding minors and visual depictions that are obscene, child pornography or harmful to minors.
Supervision and Monitoring
Subject to staff supervision and applicable procedure, technology protection measures may be disabled or, in the case of minors, minimized for lawful purposes.
It shall be the responsibility of all members of the Meridian Library District staff to supervise and monitor usage of the online computer network and access to the Internet in accordance with this policy and the Children’s Internet protection Act and Idaho Code 33-2741.
Procedures for the disabling or otherwise modifying any technology protection measures shall be the responsibility of the Director or designated representatives. A copy of these procedures will be available for review at the main desk of each Library.
A notice of the availability of this Policy will be posted in a conspicuous place within the library for all patrons to observe. Complaints about this policy can be addressed to the library staff or the Library Director.
These procedures and guidelines will be adhered to by library staff to enforce the requirements of Idaho Code § 33-2741 and the Children’s Internet Protection Act.
This Policy document will be reviewed annually by the Meridian Library District Board of Trustees.
Approved by the Meridian Library Board of Trustees on June 11, 2013
Revised August 21, 2019