Library Closed Monday
All Meridian Library locations will be closed on Monday, February 15th in observance of President's Day.
Gifts and Sponsorship Policy
Meridian Library District welcomes donations and sponsorship from individuals, families, local business, and corporations. The aim of sponsorship is to obtain funding or in-kind support to provide services and equipment that may not otherwise be available. The Board of Trustees of Meridian Library District believes that libraries play an essential role in the quality of life of our citizens and in this important function the library should be supported through public funding. Therefore, sponsorship revenue should only be used to fund optional additional services or new, "start up" services.
The following principles will guide the Meridian Library District in the solicitation and acceptance of gifts, grants or support to enhance or develop library programs and services:
- All gifts, grants and/or support must further the library's mission, goals, objectives and priorities. They must not drive the library's agenda or priorities.
- All gifts, grants and/or support must safeguard equity of access to library services. Sponsorship agreements must not give unfair advantage to, or cause discrimination against, sectors of the community.
- All gifts, grants and/or support must protect the principle of intellectual freedom. Sponsors may not direct the selection of collections or require endorsement of products or services.
- All gifts, grants and/or support must ensure the confidentiality of user records. The library will not sell or provide access to library records in exchange for gifts or support.
- All gifts, grants and/or support must leave open the opportunity for other actual or potential donors to have similar opportunities to provide support to the library.
- Gifts of books or other library materials will be accepted in accordance with the terms outlined in the MLD Collection Development Policy.
Recognition and Acknowledgement
The library will ensure that each sponsor receives acknowledgement and to the degree that the donor is willing, public recognition. The following guidelines will be used in providing acknowledgement to and recognition of sponsors:
- A letter of acknowledgement for gifts of money and in-kind support will be sent to all sponsors and a copy will be placed on file.
- Any special recognition agreements will be stipulated in the letter.
- Public acknowledgement of sponsorship in the library's promotional materials will normally be restricted to a statement of the sponsor's name and a display of logo. Such acknowledgement will not take precedence or have prominence over the library's own logo or promotional material.
- For gifts and/or sponsorships valued at over $500, the library may submit a press release to local newspapers and/or publish an article regarding the sponsorship in their own newsletter if the sponsor is willing.
- Acknowledgement of sponsorship may also take the following forms at the library's discretion:
- Launch of a special program or media campaign to announce the gift.
- Sponsor's name on promotional materials.
- Small standardized plaques may be placed on donated furniture or equipment.
- Library bookplates.
- In all cases, the type and scope of donor recognition required by the donor will be weighed against the benefit to the library.
All gifts, grants or in-kind support given with special requirements must be approved by the Library Director. The solicitation of gifts, grants or in-kind support by library staff or Friends of the Library and valued at over $500 must receive prior approval of the Library Director.
Authority for Implementation
The library reserves the right to make decisions regarding the implementation of each grant, gift, or offer of in-kind support. Purchasing decisions, including type of equipment, materials, furnishings, and other components of a gift will reside with library management. All details as to design of programs and allocation of resources will also reside with library management.
Approved by the Meridian Library Board of Trustees October 9, 2013